View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 I think this is the patch for Windows 10, 

This is the only thing I have in my files and it's been so many years that I'm not sure if it's the one needed for W10. I have used this file years ago.

If you play BF1942 online (on servers), it is just a matter of time before you will be kicked off a server for no reason other than a PunkBuster incompatibility. The reason for this is that earlier this year, EA Games announced that the company would no longer support BF1942. When they did this, Even Balance, Inc. (PunkBuster’s creator) pulled the latest PunkBuster files for the BF1942 game off of their website (this occurred on 02/03/2010). If you’ve installed the game since they did this, you’ve got this problem, since the game installation (which also installs PunkBuster) did not include the latest PB files for the game and you had no way to obtain them.

A gentleman who is a real fan of the game foresaw the consequences of this situation and had the foresight to download and save the final PunkBuster update files for the final version of BF1942, version 1.6.1 (this may show up in various interfaces as version 1.6.1, version 1.6.19, version 1.6.1b, or version 1.06.101). He’s made it available for everyone.

There is a 7 step process that must be executed to solve all PunkBuster problems associated with BF1942. It took a while for me to research and test all of this so you might want to save this post. I also recommend that you save all of the downloads in this process before executing them. They may not forever be available on the internet.

Step 1:
After your game is initially installed, you must install the last and most current major patch for BF1942. You can download it from this link: http://download.cnet.com/Battlefield-19 ... 60326.html  (267-268 MB) (Version 1.6.19)

Step2:
There is one additional incremental patch for BF1942 which you must install: http://games.ea.com/official/battlefiel ... medemo.jsp (select the Incremental patch, 6.41 MB) (Version 1.6.1b)

Step 3:
“Re-install” PunkBuster by downloading the PB setup program from this site: http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php. From the available choices, select Operating System Windows, version 3.4, For All Windows Games. After the download is completed, double click on it (pbsetup.zip). Then, double click on the pbsetup.exe program that is revealed to execute it. As far as I can tell, this step will do nothing if you already have the latest PunkBuster client software installed. Select “Check For Updates”. Then, since you won’t be able to add a game, since BF1942 is no longer supported, select “Quit”.

Step4:
To download and install the final and complete PunkBuster files for BF1942, click on this link: http://www.tankpanzer.com/downloads/BF4 ... update.exe. I recommend that you save this executable program before executing it, just in case you need it again. This is the final and complete PunkBuster update for BF1942 before EA Games eliminated support for the game earlier this year. Execute the download. Scrupulously follow the instructions in the Readme Installation notes to install it correctly. NOTE: DO NOT select Create Program Group.

Step 5:
Open Windows Explorer and “drill down” to the location on your hard drive where PunkBuster is installed: "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942\pb". If your path is different than this one, make compensating changes to find the “pb” subfolder. Now, look inside the “pb” subfolder and its subfolders until you find the following 3 files:

1. PnkBstrA.exe
2. PnkBstrB.exe
3. PnkBstrB.xtr

Right click on "My Computer" to open Computer Management (Local). Select Manage. Locate Services and Applications at the bottom of the GUI and click on the plus sign to the left of it to open it. Click on Services. Locate the PnkBstrA service in the window on the right side of the GUI. Right click on it and select the Stop option. Wait for the PnkBstrA service to stop.

Using Windows Explorer, simultaneously select all 3 files mentioned above. Right click on one of them, select the “Copy” option.

Using Windows Explorer to navigate to the C:\Windows\System32\ folder. Select this folder by left clicking on it. Right click on an empty space in the pane on the right side of this GUI and select the “Paste” option. When you are asked if you want to overwrite any files, “Select All”.

Right click on My Computer to open Computer Management (Local). Select Manage. Locate Services and Applications at the bottom of the GUI and click on the plus sign to the left of it to open it. Click on Services. Locate the PnkBstrA service in the window on the right side of the GUI. Right click on it and select the Start option. Wait for the PnkBstrA service to start.

Step 6:
(This step is a repeat of step 3, executed as a precaution in case something important was changed in step 4.) “Re-install” PunkBuster by downloading the PB setup program from this site: http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php. From the available choices, select Operating System Windows, version 3.4, For All Windows Games. After the download is completed, double click on it (pbsetup.zip). Then, double click on the pbsetup.exe program that is revealed to execute it. As far as I can tell, this step will do nothing if you already have the latest PunkBuster client software installed. Select “Check For Updates”. Then, since you won’t be able to add a game, since BF1942 is no longer supported, select “Quit”.

Step 7:
One last link: http://www.evenbalance.com/downloads/pbsvc/pbsvc.exe. This program will test your PunkBuster client software and settings to determine if they are operating and set up correctly.

The process is completed. You should be ready to play on any properly configured server with the most current BF1942 and PunkBuster server software.

Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:16 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]